Eating well is important for all of us. In the short-term, it can help us to feel good, look our best and stay at a healthy weight. In the long-term, a healthy, balanced diet can reduce our risk of heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis and some cancers.
To eat a balanced diet you need to combine several different types of foods – from each of the main food groups – in the right amounts so your body gets all the nutrients it needs while maintaining a healthy weight. This means you should eat:
- Plenty of bread, rice potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Some milk, cheese and yoghurt
- Some meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein, and
- Just a small amount of foods and drinks high in fat and/or sugar